Sunday, October 5, 2008

Moving to Doro

Well i found out the other day that i wont be staying in Malakal for a long time. The SIM sudan leadership has asked me to move to Doro, which is still in upper nile state. SIM has a health clinic and BELC (basic education learning center) AKA highschool there.

I'll be the fix it man there. Right now they only have female staff, consisting of nurses and teachers. They would like me to go to be a male presence there. As well as cheaf snake killer. Also i hear that Doro is a possible place to do a water project. So i may work on that some. I'll be headed there in mid to late november.

I've recently had a interesting revelation of just how remote a place south sudan really is. This place has been very serperated from the rest of the world for a very long time. I have been hanging out with a pastor from the mabbann area in upper nile state. He is staying with us here in malakal with he passes thru. And we were talking about my home in alaska. He did not understand how we are able to keep the snow out of our houses in the winter. Cuse you see... they dont use windows here in the houses... If the people have houses at all. And then he asked if we have snow so much then how do the cows eat? and where do they live? "do they come into the house with you" he says. You see, he thought that everywhere in the world people are nilotic and have cows. Cows are a huge part of the culture here. I had to explain to him all about how we survive off the global economy. And get our food from other places.

I enjoyed sitting down with him for a while tonight and showed him pictures of wild animals from AK. He was blown away. :) But very excited. I find it amazing that he is in his sixtees and still hasen't quite grasped that there is more to the world than hot sudani style living. But he is a very faithful, joyful, and holy man. I have much to learn from him. It's amazing how diverse Gods people are.

My health is much better. But when i have to go numba two. Its ON! haha. like... no waiting. So i still have some adjusting to local foods.

Now that the vsat is up and runnig i'll have more internet time to write people and things. So you all should email me. and i'll write you back.

Sallaam (peace)

Joel

1 comment:

Nick's Chicks Progress Report said...

It's ON!! Ferocious like Donkey Kong!!!

Hey, Mang. I'm bored, so I thought I'd leave ya a little commentary. I'm pretty stoked that there are still places in the world that don't have a real sense of the rest of this big ball. I mean....I'm glad that I have a globalized education, but it's encouraging that there are still people in places that still live the same way they always have. It's very......bedouin. I dig it.

Do you think an R1200 GS would make it to Malakal?