Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hmm... what to say.

I'm not sure waht to say right now. This is my first time i've been able to use the internet in Sudan. It's HOT, dirty and smelly here. And things compaired to America are at a really basic level. But... i have a roof over my head. And running water (Nile river water though.) As well as a nice deep outhouse and plenty of toilet paper. :)

My daily routine is varied. Somtimes it's going to the market with andrew to get supplies and sometimes it's working on the houses. The sun comes up at around 7am. And set about 7pm. That's pretty cool. I just finished installing a solar panel power system on one of the houses im working on. It's to power i hopefully soon coming sattelite powered internet system.

Last week there was a bunch of guys with SIM staying here at the houses in Malekal. They were here to try and get a hold of some land to start the moving process from nairobi to malekal for the SIMsudan admin office. Things went ok. There are still a lot of things that need worked out. And alot of things need to happen. You can pray that the local government will give SIM favor in this process.

Well i'm done talking for now.

P.S.

I have a Satellite phone! Curtesy of Nick the gnome Gliem! And here is the number(+8821643335141). In case you Must get a hold of me. *WARNING* it's $1.49 a minute cuse the rates just went up. But SMS is only .25$ So try that if you need to. But email is still the best way to contact me. Especially when the V-SAT is up and running.

5 comments:

Nick's Chicks Progress Report said...

Psh....I'm totally almost qualified to run a V-SAT. I kept one of those things running for two months basically by myself. Maybe I should have come. Bummer.

I hope the trip is the pimp.

Give me your address!!!

P.S. You called me the gnome....ha.

SarahMae said...

Oooh, sweet! I'm going to have to resist the temptation to send you a text just to know that it's going completely around the world... I hope you're settling in a little more. I imagine it will feel less dirty/smelly once you get used to it. :) You'll probably come home and be shocked at how clean things are! Anyway, lots of love from Alaska.

Nanci said...

My heart choked up when I read your post, almost as if I could hear the sound of your voice! You are deeply missed, deeply loved, and covered in prayer! Keep putting that armor on EVERY DAY!
Much love and a big ol' hug to you!

JTBeckett said...

So good to hear from you!! So if Nick is qualified I may send him over - think Uncle Sam would mind?

Grandma had a neat comment when she heard where you are. She said, "Joel's in Sudan? Well, how about that." Then she said she was really glad that she's lived long enough to see her grandkids serving the Lord like you are.

It was just really neat for her to be given a brief bit of clarity of thought to be blessed by knowing what's up with you.

Love ya' and praying for you,

Mom

Anonymous said...

joel...i cant believe how much i miss you! I dont know if i have ever told you this but i feel eminence pride in being your friend. I am so proud of you. God is so amazing and i cant wait to hear what he does with you next. I love you,
Amanda

P.S. Im such a goof i read you blog in the library and now im sobbing so hard people are looking.....leave it to me to be over dramatic and cry :) (some things never change)